top of page
  • Writer's pictureERSS

Minor Munster Trophy Final

ERSS 0 – St Mary’s Newport 1

Our under 15 team were unlucky today to come out on the losing side of a 1-0 final. It was a game very much in the balance for much of the game, with both sides having chances. In the end it was an excellent strike from Newport that saw them come out the winners.

First half started with Newport having much of the possession and very confident in attack. It took us a little time to settle into the game, but Conor Norris kept us in it with some excellent clearances. In attack Conor Quinn and Manuel de la Cuevas Conde were threatening and playing the ball forward but we lacked that cutting edge in the final third. 4 minutes in, Newport had a counter attack. We defended well with Ryan Jacob covering back through the middle but unfortunately in clearing the loose ball Jay O’Gorman went down injured. Newport took advantage at this point with some strong attacks, but again Conor Norris blocked shots from inside the box. Jay tried to carry on but was replaced 10 minutes into the game by Reece Bourke.

We were unlucky again with an injury to our keeper Henry Kirby. Henry bravely came to clear a ball from a counter attack and was involved in a clash with the Newport forward. Henry played on in some pain, and to get a hold of the game we changed to a 3 man midfield which helped us get back into the game. We had an excellent chance to go ahead from a counter attack down our right. Jamie Comerford played a ball down the wing to Conor O’Meara who crossed the ball to Dylan Walsh. The shot was narrowly wide.

Newport came back into the game again 20 minutes in. Conor Norris was there again to stop a certain goal and a Jamie Comerford clearance kept us in the game. Much of the final 10 minutes was played in the middle of the park, with both teams cancelling each other out. We had some promising free kicks around the outside of their box. Conor O’Meara drawing the fouls. Blake Wheeler's attempt just going over the bar.

Harry Farrell came on with 5 minutes to go to play right wing. Harry made an instant impact both in defending counter attacks and going forward. Harry’s pace down the right lead to a great chance for Conor O’Meara who’s shot hit the bar. As we went into added time, Conor Norris came to our rescue once again with a perfectly timed sliding tackle in the box.

Half time 0-0

In the second half Newport came out strong and had a shot off the bar in the first couple of minutes. The rebound was dealt with by Manuel with an excellent defensive header back to our keeper. A free kick shortly after for Newport was close to being put away in a goal mouth scramble but Harry Farrell was back to help clear the ball away and get us up the field. Manuel was fouled a number of times around the half way line, and Conor Norris’s delivery was excellent on each free kick, floating balls into the box. We were very unlucky not to make contact with one of these as the ball drifted inches over our players.

We had a period of good possession in the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half, but conceded after Newport’s free kick from the half way line was followed up by an excellent strike as the ball broke in the box. Newport players upped their intensity at this point, and we came under a number of attacks. Conor Norris and Zack Walsh covered well across the back line, with Blake Wheeler and Reece Bourke at full back.

We grew into the game a little after the disappointment of going behind. Dylan Walsh and Conor Quinn at centre mid with Jamie Comerford broke play up and did well to get the ball progressed up the pitch. Harry Farrell was excellent 2nd half and came close to leveling the game only for a good save form the keeper.

20 minutes in, we brought on Ethan Ryan. Ethan gave us some fresh energy from midfield. Blake Wheeler coming from left back put a great ball up to Conor O’Meara, who was brought down outside the box. Conor Norris again on the free kick with an excellent delivery in, but Newport dealt with the balls very well on each of our attempts to get a head to the ball.

With 5 minutes of normal time to go, Oran Shortiss Day came on up top to partner Conor, with Harry Farrell making way. From this point on we threw everything at getting the equaliser. Our best chance of the game came from Conor O’Meara. The ball came into Conor just to the right of the 6 yard box and Conor riffled the shot but the keeper made an excellent save. The rebound feel to Conor again but he was unable to get his foot around the ball. Minutes from the end we came close again form a free kick that went just over from Conor Norris.

We were very unlucky not to equalise in the 5 minutes of extra time. We were in the Newport box with a ball into Oran Shortiss Day. Oran was unlucky not to be given a foul as the keeper climbed over him and brought him down. Manuel followed in with a shot that was blocked and again more efforts from Dylan Walsh and Conor Quinn from the outskirts of the box were cleared. Newport saw out the game and managed to hold their lead.

Final Score 1-0

Well done to all the players. We had a fantastic run to the final and all players should be very proud of their performances. We are incredibly lucky to have such a big squad of players, all with 100% commitment to both the school team and their clubs.

Also a special thank you to those that came to support the team today. From our school staff Ms. L. Barry (Deputy-Principal), Ms. F. Walsh and Mr. S. McCormack. Our students that traveled to cheer on their classmates – there was a fantastic atmosphere from the cheering, chanting and singing!! To the parents and families that attended today and many other matches along the way, thank you. It means a lot to have you there, supporting not only your son but all the team.

Most importantly, on behalf myself and Ms Flynn I would personally like to thank the boys on the team. We have enjoyed every day away with this bunch of lads. They have been a joy to deal with and we look forward to coming back again next year and hopefully going one step further! We would also like to thank TY students Killian Power and Darragh Dunne and 5th Years Eoin Hogan and David Comerford, who have helped with the team throughout the year.

Deirdre Kane

u15 Squad 2022/2023:

1 Henry Kirby

2 Jay O’Gorman

3 Blake Wheeler

4 Conor Norris

5 Ryan Jacob

6 Conor Quinn

7 Jamie Comerford

8 Zack Walsh

9 Conor O’Meara

10 Dylan Walsh

11 Manuel de la Cuevas Conde

12 Reece Bourke

13 Ethan Ryan

14 Jack Walsh

15 Harry Farrell

16 Aidan Hanlon

17 Ryan Bartley

18 Oran Shortiss Day

19 Glenn Bompoh

20 Eoin Connolly

21 Ronan O’Shea

22 Scott Wall

23 Gavin Coady

24 Cathal O’Brien

25 Luke Raggett

26 Archie Farrell

159 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Senior Gaelic Football

Congratulations to the Senior Football team who secured their place in the County Final today following their win over Ballingarry. Thanks to Ballingarry for the game and to Fethard Town Park for the


bottom of page