top of page
  • Writer's pictureERSS

Munster Senior Cup Round 2 Win for ERSS


After our victory over Colaiste dun Iascaigh in round 1 of this seasons Munster Senior Cup, we faced the challenge of a very good Mt. Sion CBS team in round 2 in tom Drohan Park, home of Carrick United.

Games against Mt. Sion are always tough encounters and this game was no different.. Mt. Sion started the strongest and put us under a lot of early pressure. Our defensive line of Ryan Ciomerford, Aiden Wells and Senan Campbell had to be at their best and did well to limit the chances conceded in the early stages. When Mt. Sion did get through on one occasion Bill Foley made a wonderful save low to his left to keep the game scoreless.

Our midfield of Evan Foley, Fionn Barry and Fabian Urbanski started to gradually get on top and from some good work by Fabian, the ball was fed into Josh Hegarty, Josh then skipped past two challenges before curling an unstoppable effort into the top left hand corner from all of 30 yards out. A definite goal of the season contender.

Unfortunately a lapse in concentration allowed Mt. Sion to break through soon after to equalise. The players didn’t let this setback affect their game as we kept pushing forward and on 30 minutes we regained the lead. Francis Roche picked up a through ball from Jack Hegarty and went on a mazy run past defenders and just when it looked like he was running out of space Francis turned back inside the last defender before sliding the ball past the keeper. Unfortunately though we conceded another equaliser just before half time as the pacy Mt. Sion attacker broke through and although Bill Foley pulled off another great save the ball was finished on the rebound.

Early in the second half we went behind for the first time. Mt. Sion won a penalty and finished it well but we kept our composure and knew the opportunity to equalise would arrive. Our set piece specialist Liam Eachthigheirn send in a dipping corner onto the head of Daryl Hanrahan who’s effort was well saved but Josh Hegarty was on hand to volley home his second of the day and bring the game into extra time.

Francis Roche won a penalty midway through the first half of extra time which Josh Hegarty finished in style to complete his hat-trick and put us back in front. We controlled the majority of the remaining time with Eoin Harrigan and Shane Burns helping to settle the game.

Both teams deserve credit for serving up a very exciting game, a great advert for school’s football.

Well done to all, draw for round 3 will take place in the coming days.

ERSS: Bill Foley, Jack Hegarty, Ryan Comerford, Aiden Wells, Senan Campbell, Liam Eachthigheirn, Fionn Barry, Fabian Urbanski, Evan Foley, Francis Roche, Josh Hegarty, Shane Burns, Daryl Hanrahan, Owen Harrigan, Oscar Geoghan, Sean O’Meara, Karl McCoy, Jack O’Keeffe, Darragh Anthony, James Cotter, Ian Holden, Reece O’Mahony

123 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page